Thursday, July 14, 2016

Illuminae Book Review

Title: Illuminae
By: Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
Release Date: October 20, 2015 
Pages: 599
Publisher:Knopf Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardback
All thoughts and comments are my own.

SUMMARY:
This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes.

NON-SPOILERY REVIEW:

I bought this book at the very beginning of the summer, and has been on my original TBR for months now. I am so glad I actually got into it. I know it's a BIG book, 600 pages is very intimidating, but it took me two sittings to finish it! I never would have thought that I'd be able to read 400 pages in a day. I absolutely loved the format of this book. It's not 600 pages of just straight reading, it's an adventure. Being able to read all of the emails, IMs, files, and reports, and more is so mysterious. It definitely helped to move the story line along by making you feel like a sort of detective trying to figure out exactly what's happening on board the ships. 

I know a lot of people automatically go "eew, sci-fi", but it's so much more than that. There's a love story going on, a bit of horror, and so many plot twists. It's not only about the sci-fi aspects. Speaking of plot twists, at first it's about a planet being blown up (not a spoiler, you can read that on the first page), then changes again and again and again. I literally describe it based on the different plot twists, but will refrain from doing that now. I think the best way to go into this book is without any real idea of where the story should go! It's more of mystery and adventure that way. 

I got about halfway in and could not imagine how much more intense the book could get. Well, It did! It's a fast paced, roller coaster of a plot line. It will suck you in and never let you go. If you think you know what's going to happen next, YOU'RE WRONG. I thought I had everything figured out by the last 100 pages, then the plot changed on me again. I thought everything was going to be okay and wrapping up at about 10 pages from the end, then there was another plot twist that I should've seen coming, but didn't. It's hinted at in the book, but I honestly don't think anyone would catch unless doing a reread. 

Did I mention the characters are amazing? Kady and Ezra will steal your hearts from the very beginning. I'm kind of sad that the next book, Gemina, will not feature them as the leads, but am excited to meet new characters. Kady is the perfect sass queen and following her journey was so incredible.

RATING:
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff 5/5 Stars



OVERALL:
This is probably my favorite book ever. It was a whirlwind adventure and I cannot wait for Gemina. (Literally! If you have an arc you want to trade email me! Or just one I could borrow and send back.) I don't know how much more I can rant about this amazing book. It broke my heart and then mended me again by the ending. Go get it if you haven't!

Subscribe and never miss a post! Stay tuned for more reviews, TBRs, and some upcoming super exciting news! Trust me, you won't want to miss what's happening soon!


1 comment:

  1. This was so good and I actually love the way that it was format although some people had problems with it not being a traditional book. Are you excited for Gemina? I know I am.

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete