Sunday, July 10, 2016

Destined For Doon Book Review

Title: Destined for Doon
By: Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon
Release Date: September 2, 2014
Pages: 368
Publisher: Blink YA
Format: Hardback
All thoughts and comments are my own.


SUMMARY:
The second book in the popular new Doon YA series that takes on a classic story, Brigadoon, and spins it in a new way to give readers a fresh, modern experience.

In this sequel to Doon, Kenna Reid realizes she made a horrible mistake-choosing to follow her dreams of Broadway instead of staying in the enchanted land of Doon. Worse, she's received proof she and Duncan are meant to be, along with torturous visions of the prince she left behind. So when Duncan shows up and informs Kenna that Doon needs her, she doesn't need to think twice. But even if Kenna can save the enchanted kingdom, her happily ever after may still be in peril.

The Doon novels are a part of Blink, HarperCollins Christian Publishing's new YA imprint that delivers empowering and heartening literature while maintaining a tradition of imaginative and impactful storytelling.

NON-SPOILERY REVIEW:
I really enjoyed being able to go back into Doon. After the events of the first book, I knew there was still some things to tie up with the witch (HA! cause she tied up Jamie) and also with MacKenna leaving Doon. Just letting you guys know, I was so disappointed in Kenna for deciding to leave Duncan on the bridge. I understand that she has dreams that she can't accomplish in Doon with the theatre, but no ma'am. We do not leave the people we are Called to. I was very frustrated with her starting this book. 

That being said, I wasn't expecting Jamie and Veronica's relationship to grow the way it does in this sequel. It was nice to see what's happening with them in addition to more of Kenna and Duncan. There was a good bit of the relationships in the story, but still focuses on the main problem in Doon, the Witch. I also really enjoyed how there was more of a backstory and presence of the Witch in this book. I wanted to know more about her and her family's history in the first book, and finally got that in this one. Guys, that witch's cottage is creepy! But I love all the detail they put into it. 

I feel very attached to the characters now, and felt like they should have ended the series at this book. It would have provided for a very safe, happy ending. However, it's not. There's still two more books that will probably break my heart. I'm not quite sure what is in store for our characters in Shades of Doon but I am so excited to find out. I'm still uncertain about one of the characters introduced in Destined for Doon, if you've read it, then you know EXACTLY who I'm talking about. My theory is that she's helping the witch. Maybe it's just because I prefer MacKenna with Duncan and I don't need a minor character breaking up my ship. 

OVERALL:
I was happy with this sequel. I think it stood up to the first book, which is normally hard to do in a series. I can't wait to go back in for another round of Scottish princes, Doonians, kilts, and evil witches. Also, I'm still very much okay with all of the pop culture references they make. I often find myself laughing out loud when I read them. It almost always makes me think of Castiel from Supernatural when he says that he doesn't get that reference. Another great work  by Carey and Lorie.
RATING:
Destined for Doon by Carey Corp and Lorie Langdon 4.5/5 Stars

Stay tuned for more on the Doon series. I have some super exciting reads for now until the end of the year, so subscribe and never miss a post! Also if you preorder the final book in the Doon series, Forever Doon, before it's release on August 2, 2016, then email a picture of your receipt to Doon@Harpercollins.com for exclusive Doon swag! Coloring Pages, Posters, and Even the first two chapters of Forever Doon!

No comments:

Post a Comment